Brook Park, Ohio 44142
Our hours are 7:00am – 3:30pm
Contact us at 216-433-7192
Helpful Recycling Tips New
Click images below to enlarge:
Click here to view 2018 shredding and recycling rules and regulations.
And please to take a moment to view the helpful videos at the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District YouTube channel.
2018 Leaf Collection Program
Leaf collection begins mid-October and will run through the beginning of December, weather
Residents can help ensure that the collection process runs smoothly by following these simple
- Place only leaves in leaf piles, other forms of yard waste such as rocks, tree branches,
sticks, flowers, garden plants, weeds, animal feces and grass clippings, slow the collection
process and damage city equipment.
- All yard waste can still be disposed of at the Service Department in dumpsters and
- Leaf piles should be placed at your curb not in the street.
- Leaves should not be placed behind parked cars or near storm drains.
- Make sure leaves are piled within 5 feet of the curb or machines will not be able to reach
- Do not place leaves by mailboxes, sign posts, telephone poles or under trees.
- Do not pile leaves in ditches or over catch basins as this may cause flooding.
- Leaf machines are unable to pick up leaves that are frozen to the ground or exceptionally
heavy from rain.
- Snow will temporarily halt leaf collection.
- We will cover every street in the city approximately every 7 to 10 days. Phone calls are
Please do not park cars in the street by exiting leaf piles between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and
3:00 p.m. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and efforts.
Pride in our home town,
Brook Park Service Department
City of Brook Park Sidewalk Repair Program
Please click here to view.
CURBSIDE RECYCLING IN BROOK PARK
The City of Brook Park provides curbside recycling every other week for city residents. Combine cans, cartons, glass, paper and boxes plus plastic bottles and jugs loose (unbagged or bagged) in the provided blue wheeled cart. Paper and boxes can also be dropped off at Paper Retriever locations.
Combine these items in your curbside recycling:
- CANS: Includes all metal food and beverage cans such as pop, beer, soup, vegetable, and tuna. Cans should be emptied, rinsed, and then recycled.
- CARTONS: Includes milk, juice, soup and broth plus wine cartons. Cartons should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap and place in your curbside recycling.
- GLASS: Includes glass food and beverage bottles and jars. Empty, rinse and replace the lid before recycling. You do not need to remove the label.
- PAPER & BOXES: All paper and boxes can be recycled, including newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes, greeting cards, cereal boxes, cardboard, phone books and clean pizza boxes. Flatten cardboard items, like cereal boxes, to save space.
- PLASTIC BOTTLES: Any plastic bottle, jar, jug or tub can be placed in your curbside recycling. Recycle plastic food and beverage bottles, cosmetics and personal products, and laundry detergent and bleach bottles. Containers should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap and put in your curbside recycling.
Not all plastics with the 1-7 symbol are recyclable. See the chart below (click to enlarge).
SPECIAL NOTICE FROM THE MAYOR REGARDING YARD WASTE
We have made arrangements with our rubbish disposal provider to allow you to place your yard waste in with your regular rubbish.
This will be allowed under the following conditions:
1. The yard waste must be placed in a separate plastic bag;
2. The yard waste and your regular rubbish together cannot exceed the volume of your regular waste can container.
If your yard waste exceeds the capacity of your regular rubbish container you can:
1. Purchase 1 (one) additional waste container at the City’s current cost;
2. Bring your yard waste to the Service Garage from 7:30am until 7:00pm Monday through Friday and on Saturday from 8:00am until 12:00pm.
Under no circumstances can yard waste be placed in the blue recyclable containers or placed in other containers. If you have any questions, call the Service Dept. at 216-433-7192
CHANGES TO YARD WASTE AND BULK PICK-UP PROGRAMS 2018
The City of Brook Park is NOT eliminating the cities Yard Waste
or Bulk Monday Programs. However, we are making adjustments to control costs and utilize our manpower. Residents who exceed the volume of your regular waste container(s) must transfer such material to the Brook Park Service Department. Proof of residence is required.
NO CONTRACTORS ALLOWED (per City Ord).
- The Service Department, which is located at 19065 Holland Road, will have several designated
40-yard roll off containers.
- Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:30am until 7:00pm, and Saturday from 8:00am until 12:00 noon, from April 9th through November 14th, 2018.
- Surveillance cameras will monitor activity in and around the containers.Individuals are subject to fines for unauthorized dumping, Per City Ordinance #933.12/#933.13
- Yard Waste paper bags can be purchased at many retail locations. (NO PLASTIC BAGS)
- Residents are encouraged to mulch their lawns with the purchase of mulching blade conversion
kit. Said investment will be at residence expense.
- NO plastic bags will be permitted in roll off containers.
Residents may utilize 12 designated Bulk Monday Pick-Ups per year.
- Bulk Pick-Up will occur on the second Monday of each month.
- Residents will be required to call in all Bulk Pick-Up requests. Deadline will be the Friday before by 12:00pm. This allows for a more efficient route schedule. This requirement will be strictly enforced. If an address is not on that particular Bulk Mondays List, the rubbish will not be picked up.
- Any unscheduled Bulk stop will be subject to a pick-up fee and/or fines will be assessed to the violation address, per City Ordinance #933.06.
- Residents can still schedule Large Volume pick-up twice each calendar year. Monitored address list.
- Large Volume pick-ups must be scheduled in advance. Please call the Rubbish Hotline at (216)433-7189 for available dates.
- Rubbish outside any household may be subject to fines per City Ordinance #1363.01.
- Any questions or concerns, contact the Sanitation Dept. at (216)433-7189.
NOT BULK ITEMS:
- Bags of trash
- No yard waste
- No carts full of trash
For recycling information, go to the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District’s web site at www.cuyahogaswd.org.
Service Department Holidays include:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
If a holiday falls on your scheduled rubbish pick-up day, the rubbish will be picked up the first work day after the holiday. If you have any questions, please contact the Service Department.
Automated Rubbish Information
The following is important information pertaining to the new Automated Rubbish collection. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 216-433-7189.
- Place your Smart Cart on the curb with the handle facing your house. The Smart Cart arrows must point toward the street.
- DO NOT place cart near vehicles as they will not be picked up
- Smart Carts should be placed on the curb at least 3 feet apart from each other.
- If your Smart Cart is not full during a severe weather event consider waiting until the event clears and placing your Smart Cart out on your next scheduled collection day.
- Rubbish will be picked up Tuesday – Friday and on Saturday during certain holiday weeks. The new system allows us to service all residential routes in 4 days instead of 5 days.
- During Holiday weeks, look for RED signs announcing rubbish will be picked up 1 day later than your normal day. These signs will be located on main and secondary streets in affected routes.
- To schedule a pick up of Bulk Items you must call 216-433-7189 and leave your name, address and phone number. A City representative will contact you with available pick up dates and times. Place your pick up items out no earlier than 5:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled pick up.
- You may drop off your rubbish as the Service Garage, 19065 Holland Road, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.(Summer hours only). Proof of residency may be required.
DO pre-schedule a special pick up order for bulk items.
DO bag, tie and secure rubbish inside black Smart Cart.
DO close the lid to each Smart Cart.
DO remove emptied Carts from City right-of-way by 6:00 p.m. on your collection day.
DO NOT place trash, yard waste or black bags in blue recycling Smart Carts.
DO NOT place loose or bagged trash outside your Smart Carts. It Will Not Be Collected!
Hazardous Waste Round Up
Residents can bring household pesticides, cleaners and paints (excluding latex paint) to the Service Garage Monday thru Friday between 7:30 a.m. to 7:00pm Propane tanks, tires with rims removed and rechargeable batteries can also be dropped off at the Garage. Used car batteries and old motor oil may also be taken to Auto Zone, Murray’s Discount Auto, National Tire and Battery, and Lube Stop.
Sharp Waste Disposal
Disposing of loose needles and syringes into the household waste poses a risk to family members and solid waste workers who must handle the waste. While Ohio law allows the disposal of sharps used by an individual for purposes of his/her own care or treatment in their home into the solid waste stream, it is important to recognize the hazard they pose to solid waste workers. Solid waste workers handle waste containers without knowledge of the contents. It is recommended that home-generated sharps be packaged into a rigid container and marked with the wording sharps prior to disposal into the solid waste stream. Common household containers which meet the description of rigid are: liquid detergent & bleach bottles, 2 liter pop bottles, and coffee cans if the lid is securely taped to the can. In addition, the person may contact their local health department or hospital to inquire if they would accept the home generated sharps.
Latex Paint Disposal
We cannot accept Latex Paint. The paint must be dried up before you dispose of the cans. Use kitty litter or a commercial paint dry up product to dry up all latex paint. At the time of disposal put the cans in your regular trash leaving the lids off.
To solidify latex paint: Allow the paint to dry by removing the lid and allowing liquids to evaporate. This works for small quantities of paint (an inch or two in the bottom of the can), and can take several days. Latex paint can also be solidified by mixing in an equal amount of an absorbent material and allowed to dry. Use cat litter, sawdust, Plaster of Paris, oil dry, or vermiculite. Pour thin layers (about 1″ of paint) into a cardboard box lined with plastic. Allow paint to dry one layer at a time until all paint has hardened. When thoroughly dry, the remaining hardened paint should be discarded with your regular trash. Leave the lid off the can so the waste collector can see the paint is hardened.
Snow Removal/Street Parking Ban
Snow Removal on our streets will continue to be prompt and efficient, plowing our main streets first and then the neighborhoods. Remember to keep all vehicles off the streets when the snow exceeds 2 inches and a Parking Ban comes into effect.
Just a reminder that when snow exceeds two inches, there is no parking on city streets until streets are cleared.
Water Breaks that occur on our city streets, tree lawns, fire hydrants, etc. are the responsibility of the Cleveland Water Department- Division of Water. As a water break occurs and is called in to our Service Department, it is dispatched to the City of Cleveland Water Department’s Repair Crew. Upon the City of Cleveland finishing its repairs, it is possible in some cases to take as long as 4 to 6 weeks before Cleveland gives us final permission to complete our permanent repairs to that area. Please be patient and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Also, if you discover any brown water during these repairs, as a homeowner it is best to run your cold water in the lowest part of your home, basement, etc. until the water clears. If you have any questions, please contact the City of Brook Park Service Department, Monday thru Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30pm at 216-433-7192.